Saturday, May 30, 2009

Latest from China - Lang Shou




What I have found out is that in China you can not access blogs or YouTube for that matter. So, I am going to write my blog and email it to Yvonne to post.. But you can access skype….which is cool.

We have been in China for 2 days now. Spent our first day at the Queen Spa….now that is an experience! Check it out on Google. Queen Spa in Shenzhen. We had 22 hours of total relaxation. Sorry, but no cameras allowed. I did get a foot massage! We could eat all the fruit and ice cream we wanted, sleep, or watch your own TV that was attached to your reclining bed, shower as often as you wanted…they supply everything, watch a movie on a big screen, we saw Twilight…in English -- and all for me $30 and Sam spent just $13. Oh, we even had a meal there that is part of that price. Crazy cheap. 

The spa was suppose to be at the end of our trip in China but we could not get a bus from Shenzhen to Gui Lin on the day we arrived so we had to spend a night. 

The next day we took a 13-hour train ride from 6:00 in the evening until 7:00 the next morning. See the picture above! We slept in what is called, hard sleepers. 6 people to a unit. Three beds stacked on each wall. We each had the middle bed. Some very nice young man changed rooms with Sam so we could be in the same unit. That train trip was an experience! Also, I learned I will take a USA bathroom any day! I did learn that Americans spend way too much on diapers. Here they just cut the child's clothing in the crotch area and take the kids to the bathroom…So, yes they are totally exposed all of the time and even will hold their child with their back to the mom's chest, bring their knees up and let them go right over a drain on the road or into the hole, which is how the bathrooms are here.

Once we got to Guilin we took a bus to Lang Shou, 1 hour, one of the most beautiful places in China, so I hear…it is beautiful. Our Hostel [West Lily Hotel] is wonderful. The owners are self-taught English speakers and very nice. They even were able to meet my parents over Skype this morning…now that is cool! They thought so too.

Yesterday we took a bus ride to Xing Ping and took a boat ride….sorry I don’t remember the name of the type of boat. It was fantastic and so very beautiful. I posted some pictures on my Picasa web album [http://picasaweb.google.com/dlteachape] and there is even a video of the boat ride. There are also a few pictures with an earlier blog.

Today we are taking a bike ride to see water caves, a self directed little tour. Sam has assured me the bike ride will be (for the most part!) out of the main traffic area. I sure hope so, because driving here is crazy. After that we will be going to a famous light show tonight. The show is directed by the creator of the opening to the Olympics. It is a bit expensive by China standards, $20 US each, which includes the bus ride. We are excited about both of these trips today.

With that I better end this blog and get on my way. A bike is waiting for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment